Between 1800 and 1820, the monks left the dilapidated buildings and decided to move to a new place, closer to the sea, where is the monastery currently located. The new monastery received the status of cinematography, and in 1840 again began to accept Russians. The Russians began to come in such numbers that soon the Russian monk became prior, and some time later the monastery was in Russian hands entirely. The generous gifts and donations of the Russian Imperial Family contributed to the rapid revival of the monastery, and by the end of the XIX century more than a thousand monks from Russia lived there. Natives of Russia settled throughout the peninsula.
The cathedral construction of the monastery of St. Great Martyr Panteleimon was completed in 1821. It is crowned with typically Russian onions domes and gilded crosses. According to the decree of 1875, the services here are conducted in the Church Slavonic and Greek languages. Near the cathedral stands a huge, building of the refectory decorated with frescoes for eight hundreds people. Above the entrance to the refectory there is a bell tower (1893) with a bell, the second largest in the world, weighing 13000 kg.
The richest library contains 20000 book tomes of Greek and Slavic printed editions of the XI–XIX centuries. The monastery also owns a large number of small temples and chapels, many of which are dedicated to Russian saints.
Today in the monastery there are about 40 monks. The number of brethren can increase dramatically if Athos government permits to move to monks from Russia here. More than five thousand applications have been received from Russians wishing to become residents of the Panteleimon Monastery, however, according to the ancient edict, designed to protect the right of the Greek monks to hold the monasteries lowful possession of Αthos monks, the number of the monastery’s brothren should not exceed the number of monks of the nearby Xiropotam monastery, which now has only fifty people.
To the shrines of the monastery relates the stone from the monument of Lord, the head of St. Panteleimon. Also here are the relics of St. John the Baptist, the holy Apostles Peter, Andrew, Matthew, Bartholomew, Thomas, Barnabas, Prokhor, St. Luke, St. Gregory Palamas and St. Silvan, the amazing elder of our time (1866-1938).
Miraculous icons of the monastery – the icon of the Mother of God, called Jerusalem, is located above the royal doors; The icon of the Holy Forerunner and the baptizer of the Lord John; An ancient icon of the Holy Great Martyr and Healer Panteleimon; Icon of Saint
Holy Martyr Haralampios.
The monastery is owned the Paliomonastir and the Bulgarian Skete with common organization of the Virgin of Xilourgou, Skete with common organization of Hroumitza, the Skete of the New Thebaid. Basically all the monasteries are destroyed.