Hilandar2018-09-16T12:59:40+00:00

Monastery of Hilandar

 

The Hilandar monastery is dedicated to the introduction of the Most Holy Theotokos into the temple. There are many versions of the name of the monastery. One of them: “chili andres” – thousands of men “, connected with the ancient legend of thousands pirates, intending to rob and destroy the monastery. For convenience, they were divided into two gangs, but in the thick fog these gangs took each other for enemies and pommeled each other. The founders of the monastery were Serbian rulers of the XII century Stefan Nemanja and his son Rastko, who took vows at the Salon Monastery with the name of Savva. His father, Stefan, abdicated from the royal throne, took the monastic vows and appeared as a simple monk named Simeon in the Vatopedi monastery. In 1198 Vatopedi monastery gave the father and son of the laurel Hilandar, which lay in ruins. Simeon and Sawa practically rebuilt the monastery, which became the spiritual and religious center of the Serbian people. Many governors of Serbia presented their monastery with myriad gifts – precious ornaments, icons, real estate. The monastery became the second in Afon after its monastery of St. Laura according to its possessions and wealth. Sawa became the archbishop of Serbia, and after the death both monks were declared saints. Their graves are located to the south-east of the Cathedral Church.

Монастырь Хиландар 2014

Монастырь Хиландар 1904

After the transfer of remains of St. Simeon, a grape vine grew on the grave. Its fruits miraculously cure the infertility of women.

Among the treasures of the monastery are two crosses with pieces of the “existing tree”, a fragment of the sawn image of the Prophet Isaiah, the relics of St. John the Baptist, the part of the crown of thorns, the staff and the shroud of the Lord, the right leg of Saint Panteleimon, the right hand of Nicephorus, the Patriarch of Constantinople, the relics of St. Catherine and Saint The Barbarians.

In the monastery are stored miraculous icons – Our Lady “Tricherusameaning “”Three-handed Theotokos” with gilded insets and various ancient coins. The icon received such an unusual name after the next miraculous event in the life of the Monk John of Damascus. Serving at the court of the caliph in the city of Damascus, he was unfairly accused of conspiracy and punished by the caliph ordered to cut off his hand. All night John prayed before the icon of the Mother of God, and the severed hand miraculously grew to the wrist. In gratitude, John ordered a silver hand and hung it to the icon. Icon of the Mother of God “Galaktotrofusi”, “Eclesiarchin pidevasin“, “Unburned“, “Akafisti” and “Papadiki”.

In addition to the cathedral in Hilandar there are also thirteen small churches and chapels. To the monastery are also refer to 15 cells and one farmstead. The monastery has a magnificent treasury and a library with a rich collection of Slavic manuscripts.

25 monks live in the monastery.