Dohiyar2018-09-16T12:59:24+00:00

Monastery Dohiyar

 

The monastery Dohyar is dedicated to the holy archangels Michael and Gabriel. The monastery is situiated in the south-western part of the peninsula, between the monasteries of Zograf and Costamonit, on the steep hillside by the sea.

The monastery was founded in the second half of the X century by a saint named Ephthimius, a disciple of the Monk Athanasios of Athos, at first it was named in honor of St. Nicholas. Saint Ephthymius was in charge of the pantry in the Great Laura (dohiyarkeeper – kelarkeeper), hence the name of the monastery. According to the legend, during the construction work, which was carried out to expand Dohyar at a later time, the monastery ran out of funds, and the Mother of God discovered to one young novice that on the island of Longus, where the monastery had real estate, near some ruins buried treasure. For the treasure with the young novice two older monks were sent. Huntered unearthed treasure, they became mad with greed and decided to kill the novice to take possession of the treasures. But the young man was saved by the archangels Michael and Gabriel and immediately transferred to the monastery church. The treasure was recovered, and the monastery after this incident was renamed in honor of the two holy archangels. The young novice later took of monastic vow with the name of Barnabas and later became its abbot.

Монастырь Дохиар 2014

Монастырь Дохиар 1904

In 1560, a priest from Adrianople, named George, was healed from a serious illness, immersed in the source of the Holy Archangels, which is located on the territory of the monastery, and in gratitude bequeathed his property to the monastery. Water from the source of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel is still used as a saint.

The cathedral, erected in the XVI century, is painted by the famous Cretan painter Tzorzis. In its height it surpasses all the holy churches in the city.

In addition to the cathedral, Dohyar has fifteen small temples and chapels and a cell of All Saints in Karelia. The most famous of these churches is the chapel “Gorgoepikoos” (“She who is quick to hear”), standing near the entrance to the cathedral. It contains the thaumaturgic icon of the same name, one of the most beloved and revered sainted icons. In 1873, this icon decorated with an elegant chasuble, trimed with gold and silver finishing, made in Moscow by the zeal of Russian philanthropists.

In addition, in the monastery there is a part of the tree of the Life-giving Cross of the Lord, the relics of St. John the Baptist, St. Mary Magdalene, St. John Chrysostom, St. Peter of Athos, the Holy Father Dionysius the Areopagite, the Monk Nile myrrh-pouring and other saints.

The library of the monastery contains 65 parchment manuscripts of the XI_XIV centuries, 240 manuscripts, 4 sheet music of church music of XV-XIX centuries, and about 2000 printed publications.

Currently, 40 monks live in the monastery.